Sunday, July 3, 2016

Quick Trip To Ireland

No big deal, right?

Well I didn't actually go to the true Eire. I traveled a little over an hour to the Horseware Ireland store in Kinston, NC. 

Horseware opened their US headquarters here in eastern NC back in 1999 and the outlet store has gone from unorganized, meager beginnings to a legit retail environment over the years. My first trip there was probably 2004 or 5. I had heard everyone at my old hunter barn chattering about the great deals to be had on winter blankets, so when my little bay arab needed a coat of course the outlet store was where I headed. 

The "store" was a garage separate from the main office building and we entered through one of the two large overhead doors. It was already cold weather outside but the door had to stay open while I shopped because there weren't any lights. I dug my way through the stacks of heavy duty plastic bags that were not arranged in any particular order until I found what I came for. And what a steal...a navy w/white pinstripe mid-weight Rambo turnout rug for $40. Yep. You read that right. A Rambo. The heavy duty waterproof rip stop kind. What was wrong with it? The size tag was labelled 72 but the blanket was actually a 69. At the time the only thing in the store was blankets and a few pairs of socks, gloves, and beanies.

The store was moved a couple years later to a newer warehouse style building in an industrial area just a few miles down the road from its original location. For a while they had a yard sale, I think it was the first Saturday in October, I would always get an email notification about them and it became an annual ritual to leave home at 5:30 a.m. and show up for the ridiculous deals to be had. A lot of others had the same idea as me, and the parking lot would be full a good thirty minutes before the 7 a.m. start time. Yard sale stuff was tagged and tossed in huge boxes, and shoppers did their best to dig and score. The main winners here were barn owners and instructors who had a variety of horses to outfit. As the years passed the selection grew to include fly sheets, coolers, saddle pads, and more clothing. The store inside was also abuzz on yard sale day. Most of my purchases were found in here rather than the bins outdoors. Things I found in here? How about a full set of cob size amigo shipping boots for $15. What was wrong with them? Nothing, they were just overstock. The hunter green and lime binding looked very nice on my arab. I also picked up a matching fleece cooler that same day for $15, also overstock. The arab trailered in style in that set. Other finds include a light rain jacket for $3 (the zipper pull is a tiny compass), lots of boot socks, saddle pads, and equipment bags. 

Business hours are Monday thru Friday 9-4, and coupled with the fact that it was a solid hour from my house, kept me from visiting as often as I'd liked. Then one day my family was travelling out of town for summer vacay and we would be going past the outlet just as they were opening so I planned a pit stop. Upon arrival there was a note on the locked door stating they had moved. I mapped that address and off we headed but the directions were incorrect and we continued on with our vacation travel, scratching the shopping excursion.

I haven't bothered with the store since that day, mostly due to the same factors of proximity and business hours. Then Tuesday two weeks ago I found myself off work, and by 11:30 I had no obligations. It was a somber day for reasons, and I needed to occupy my mind with something. So my daughter and i jumped in her car and she drove us to Ireland hehe. She's still learning a lot about the highway and her driving was good for the most part. 

The newest location is two stoplights and one traffic circle off the main road, easy to find. The building is a late 60s or early 70s repurposed (probably textile) manufacturing plant.

image borrowed from here 

The store is right up front where all the windows are. No need to worry about the lighting like they did so many years ago. Version 3.0 also has the most impressive selection by far. If you need show clothing this place is the spot to go. I only saw four show coats available, but there were tons of khaki and white breeches, show shirts, sun shirts, belts etc. Too bad I don't need show clothes because I could have cleaned up. They still had blankets, fly sheets, bonnets, halters available too. I got to see some new products too, like the Rambo Dry Blanket whic is exactly as the desscription states, a microfiber material same as a car towel. This blanket seemed quite heavy folded up in the bag. I also got to see the Ice Vibe boot kit and the Dalmar protective boots. 

I managed a few pics of some pretty random things:


don't know much about this brand, but
a long sleeve tech fabric spf shirt for
$20, not bad

this would have been my schooling show
shirt choice, they also had white with navy
stripes and buttons

what the wha? puffy down filled riding coat

this was a cute little tailored
rain jacket for $13
Something I've failed to mention until now, Horseware has always shared their headquarters with Triple Crown Customs. They make upscale wool show sheets with the fancy scroll binding on the hind end, and all kinds of stall draperies for show teams and tack rooms when they travel. This case was on display with halters worn by Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Affirmed. I thought it was a neat touch.

sorry for the glare, best I
could do with all those windows

So what was my own personal haul for the day? I got three shirts for $5 each. Two are the antimicrobial tech fabric, one is lightweight woven pique. I gave one tech shirt to my best barn buddy. Also came home with a chocolate/lime fleece sheet for Razz for $25.

I will print one of my own designs
on the woven black top

In summation, do I recommend shopping the Horseware Ireland outlet? If you need show clothes or winter riding coats, then YES! The prices aren't going to be beaten anywhere. Since this is a brand specific store, I guess your kind of outta luck if Horseware isn't your thing. It's located at 1350 Cunningham Rd, Kinston, NC. About an hour and a half outside of Raleigh. Hours are still Mon-Fri 9-4. Want to call ahead? 1-800-887-6688 Anyone headed to the beach via Hwy 70 could make an easy detour, you won't regret stopping by and having a look:)

8 comments:

  1. Hot damn! If that's not a reason to road trip to NC I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, I didn't know there was an actual store -- if you go again, you can say hi to the amazing Carolina, the rep who I worked with who was WONDERFUL as a sponsor for HOTC 3DE. I stumbled on the fact they had the Kinston facility on their website & sent her an email & she sent us the gorgeous special edition coolers!!! If my *grumblegrumble* horse can keep his dang shoes on, we'll have to come visit -- and dang, I've been stalking those shirts forever, great deal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ETA that is supposed to say Caroline, darn typing habits!!

      Delete
    2. I def will, I bet I know which one she is too. I think we had a brief chat about those halters and how you can go on a waiting list for famous pony halters through the KHP

      Delete
  3. This place sounds amazing. I wish I lived near something like that. Ariat HQ is near me, but they don't have a store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Olivia! Thanks for stopping by, I love new readers. We don't have a whole lot of horse things to get excited about in eastern NC, its nice to have Horseware here.

      And too bad Ariat doesn't have an outlet. I could do some real damage in there.

      Delete
  4. Saw your blog through Viva Carlos blog! I didn't even know this place existed. I guess this is going to add one more reason I need to head to the beach while I'm living in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Allison! Welcome to my little corner, glad you came by!!

    Yeah this place is kind of a secret. Not on purpose,they just don't advertise. Def worth stopping though:)

    ReplyDelete